From Fit Mom to Fashion Mom (a little about my day job)



Finishing touches on a Friend/Bride Photo by :One-12 Photography
So while I am  totally immersed in fitness, that is actually not what my day job entails.. I have been and am currently  in the fashion industry, specifically HAIR!!!  I've been working  in the business for over 12 years, and it's something that I just absolutely love.  I have the best job! I get to hangout with my friends  or #hairbesties as #guytang would say.  The neat part about my job is that its multifaceted.  I'm a chemist, an artist,  a therapist, and some times butt kicker.  I get to be creative in my craft on a day to day basis!  its wonderful. People often ask me if I have  a  favorite specialty, and  I never know how to answer that.. I kind of love it all!  I would say the most fun I have is when I get to be expressive and free through color and style. We can get a bit busy in the business with the root touch ups and the day to day  we forget to have fun and create a little. If we are lucky enough (which I am) we have clients who indulge  us and let us experiment with our art on them!





My girls at a photoshoot (glam style) Photo by: One-12 Photography and My little Dude because Boys can have good hair too Photo by: Vanwalk Photography
Aurora and her Sunset hair 
#IcedWatermellon
Even though I have worked in MANY salons,  I currently work for my self from the house. It is something I took up after I had my first child and decided to have a 2nd and a 3rd.  It allowed me to have flexibility in my schedule and ultimately kept me from having to take 1 year off a 2nd and third time, while  still being able to spend time with my kids and enjoy them and really be there for them.  This is something that cannot be done without a WONDERFULLY understanding  clientele! I always thank God for just how lucky I am to have a group of clients who understand a mothers need  and a childs need. While I mostly worked when a spouse or grandparent was available to watch the children, I did often work through nap time.. or on occasion, unsuccessful nap times.  I was also Remarkably lucky my kids were all  GREAT sleepers and fairly easy babies, and  though I may be bias in my opinion very CUTE!

 Currently though I have NO children in the home  while I'm working (other than summer holidays etc) and it has been GLORIOUS!  I love my kids  but I really enjoy my one on one time with each client.  Its a great time to connect and really learn about your client and their needs. For me even when the kids were in home that was something that meant the most to me.. I never wanted to feel distracted from the client I was with at the time! Which is a big reason  why I worked  around my partners hours or grandparents schedules.. So that they could have my undivided attention.  Also a reason , along with safety concerns (there are sharp scissors and chemicals flying about, not to mention hair which is a hazard all its own), I suggest  people leave the  children at home  while visiting the salon.. especially small babies that are wanting to be held..  I couldn't live with my self if I dropped color on a baby!    Its a restful time, free from life worries, and other distractions!  Right?


So in the past I've participated with  fashion shows and photo shoots. Its probably one of the top things on my "Favs" List.. I recently worked with a brilliant girl named Kirsten Young of Kirsten Young Make-Up Artistry who I have  had the lovely pleasure of working with  previously on a commercial/photoshoot to promote her services..    So through out this  post you will see a few photos  of the work we've done together along with a few others!  With that  feel free to post any  questions  on HOW-TO's that you would like to see!  I know there are a billion on the web  but why not make it a billion and one!

for more of my hair work  follow me on INSTAGRAM
for more on Kirsten on Instagram follow HERE














You may also like

No comments: